Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Trip to Start My Trip

** Super long.... only 1 picture....

My sister's friend Amy moved to Hawaii to be closer to her boyfriend. He proposed, she said yes, we flew down! Amy had friends who worked for the airlines so Peyton and I were able to fly down to Hawaii round-trip for $165 each. We couldn't pass up on such a good deal PLUS I've missed the beach.

The trip down is a story in and of itself....

Our group: Me, Peyton, Mira (who would be the maid of honor), Kamry, Esteban Nunez and Ziggy. Ben couldn't get off of work and Riena is in the middle of her practicum so she couldn't make it either.

We left Provo Monday night around 8 pm and drove down to St George to spend a few hours with my great-aunt Linda. She graciously stayed up for us and let us crash at her place. Peyton fell asleep on the ride down there but as soon as we got there, she woke up and was SOOOO excited to see Linda's dog Bandit. We played and talked for a little bit and then tried to go to bed. Peyton, of course, was wide awake but luckily, was fine watching a movie off of my phone. At 5 am, we all were up and back in the car.

Mira, Kamry and I all wanted to make this trip as cheap as possible. The guys on the other hand... well, let's just say that to them, money wasn't an issue. Mira had found a friend in Las Vegas who was willing to keep Esteban's car for the time we would be in Hawaii so that we wouldn't have to pay for parking. Esteban wasn't comfortable with that idea (even though her friend lives on a military base) so parking looked like it would be expensive.

My flight was supposed to leave at 9 am. I was flying standby and alone with Peyton so I wanted to get there 2 hours before my flight was scheduled to leave so that I would make sure I had time for everything that could possibly go wrong. Nothing necessarily went wrong... it was just hectic and annoying.

We arrived at the airport at 7 am and I was nervous. I had with me: Peyton (wide-awake, full of energy, loves to run around), a stroller (that Peyton doesn't want to sit in), my backpack full of things to keep Peyton busy on the airplane, Peyton's backpack, a car seat, and a large suitcase..... I had NO IDEA how I was going to get from the curb to the counter. TENDER MERCY #1: LUCKILY (and I will say this a lot in this post) one of Riena's old friends just happened to be at the airport, came out to meet me, and helped me get through security and to the gate I was supposed to be at (I did check in the car seat and suitcase but Peyton threw a tantrum that some stranger was taking her car seat! All the way from the front counter to security she was crying and yelling "MIIIIIINE!!!").  Davis works with Hawaiian Airlines so he explained to me exactly how stand-by works. It was helpful having him check on things for me. Seriously... what are the chances that he HAPPENED to be at the same airport at the same time as me?!

Davis had to leave and I was by myself again. Just so everyone knows, Vegas creeps me out. It is just so dirty and full of.... who knows. I didn't want to be all by myself in a city where I didn't know anyone, any place, or anything. The flight arrived on time. The employees were SO nice and understanding towards me. It made me feel more hopeful that I would make the flight...plus, I kept hearing them talk about me. While they were calling out the names of the stand-by people, Peyton started climbing on these stools... they were hard and not safe. Of course, she slips and falls backwards and lands head first on a corner really hard. I'm already so nervous and super emotional so I'm trying not to cry as I'm comforting Peyton and listening for my name. My name doesn't get called and I'm doing everything to not cry. Ends up I was 2 names away from getting on that plane.... Dang! So I think to myself, oh well, I sorta knew this was going to happen.

The next plane was scheduled to come at 6pm. Right now, it's 9:30am so I figured there was so much going on in an airport that Peyton wouldn't be able to take a nap and that's a good thing cuz she'd be able to sleep the plane ride there. We start walking around the airport and go exploring. LUCKILY, there's a playground for kids so we go play there for a little bit. While Peyton's playing, I'm trying to re-schedule my rental car and the place we're going to stay at. I feel like a good amount of time has past so we go back to the gate just to see... It's only 10 am. My heart drops a little as I realize that the wait will make today VERY VERY long. And I hope that tells you how "super exciting" the playground was (which was not very exciting at all... it had a plane bolted to the ground that all you could do was sit on it even though it looked like it could roll around, a tower that didn't have buttons or gadgets or levers or anything, and one of those telescope things that when you looked out of all you could see was... a building.)

So we went through just about every shop and store in our terminal. I thought that'd be a good idea until Peyton decided that every stuffed animal or car we came across was hers and she wanted to take it with her.... So we left and played on the elevators, escalators, and those moving sidewalk things (keep in mind, I'm carrying with me my purse, backpack, Peyton's backpack, and a small umbrella stroller this whole time. Doesn't sound like a lot but it definitely didn't help the situation at all). We bought food because I had only brought a few snack foods for Peyton on the plane... nothing substantial. Look at the time... it's 11:30am. Seriously, could this day go any slower?!

After lunch, I remember that the tram connects all the terminals and I don't have to leave the airport to ride it.... so Peyton and I ride on the tram back and forth, back and forth for a while. Seriously, we ride on it so many times and the whole time I'm getting tired... remember, I'm only running on a few hours of sleep. We found this dinosaur/lizard thing that I'm not sure if you're allowed to climb on or not but I'm too tired to care right now so Peyton plays with that for a good amount of time.

And then we did the whole thing again. Everything from the stores, telling Peyton to put the doggies back, going to the playground, playing on the elevators, escalators, moving sidewalks, riding the tram, and climbing on the lizard... We did it all over again.

And again.

And again.

For some reason, I feel like if I can keep Peyton up, then I will accomplish something. So I'm doing everything I can do keep her up.... and then 3:30pm hits and Peyton is out. Completely 100% knocked out. I don't know why I wanted her to stay up so bad... but I know that when I couldn't wake her back up, I was devastated. Then I realized, I hadn't called Ben or my mom and told them what was going on and I could really use the moral support. I called Ben but he was so busy at work that he couldn't talk. As if my spirits weren't crushed enough, there it goes again... I didn't feel like calling my mom because I knew I would cry for sure. So I sat next to Peyton and read a book for a while....

5:00pm (Peyton's still sleeping) and I look at the gate... It is completely empty. The flight is supposed to leave at 6 and its completely empty. A couple approaches me and the wife asks me if I just bought a ticket... Umm, no?? Ends up she and her husband were also part of 10 or so people who didn't make standby. She told me the flight was delayed and wouldn't be there until 10 PM... TEN! T.E.N. P.M.!!!!!!!!! That's when I broke down... I guess while the flight was leaving Hawaii there was a medical emergency on the flight. The flight was in-between Vegas and Honolulu but closer to Honolulu so they turned around and went back. I was so mad and too upset to even think right now. I've had maybe 4 hours of sleep and was completely drained. There was no way I could buy a ticket (they bought a ticket to guarantee their seat because if I missed it, the next flight wouldn't be until 1am) for myself or even Peyton... I already had spent so much money at the airport trying to keep Peyton occupied and on food. What was I going to do?! I don't think I've ever felt so defeated in my life (and honestly, I blame it on the lack of sleep). I vowed to never fly standby again... it is SO stressful!!

Peyton eventually woke up but luckily, was content to just playing around the gate where we were sitting. The same couple came and sat with me. For some reason, I was so drawn to them... I think because they were the only "connection" I had in this place where I knew no one and also, the man reminded me a lot of my Grandpa. Weird, I know... but it's true. They told me that the airlines gave everyone who bought a ticket a $20 food voucher for the airport since the flight was so delayed and they had just eaten dinner so can they please go buy me some food. I didn't want to be a burden on them so I politely declined. And just like any Hawaiian Auntie or Uncle would do... they told me to stop being ridiculous and tell me what I wanted to eat or else they'd just get me something themselves. Seriously, my eyes teared up again. 30 minutes later, they came back with BAGS and BAGS of food..... They got dinner for me and Peyton, candy and treats for Peyton, drinks, and even breakfast food. Tender Mercy #2.

Tender Mercy #3: When Peyton started to get restless, they told me I could leave all my bags with them and go walk around with her. This was so helpful... Its hard to chase/watch a toddler when you have a million things you're trying to keep track of! I know, I didn't even know their names and they really were complete strangers but I trusted them and felt good about it. Don't judge me. Plus, I watched their bags for them while they were gone.

Peyton did our whole routine again... minus the tram because I didn't want to miss the flight or any info regarding what would happen.

9pm - the flight attendants come and start setting up for everything. I go up to the desk and tell them i'm on standby. I go back and sit down with the couple and we get to know each other better by talking and sharing stories. They play with Peyton and are just so good with her. I'm wondering if things will start looking up for me... but I'm still on edge.

The flight lands... If you fly standby, you don't know if you've made the flight until everyone has boarded unless of course the flight attendants are on top of things and start taking care of all of that beforehand. They started calling out names and I just couldn't help but feel so .... little. If that makes any sense. I just didn't know what to do. I had planned that if I didn't make this flight, I would just find a way to go back home. I didn't think the trip was going to be worth all this stress. The couple I'm with keep going to the desk to check on my status for me. They bring more candy for Peyton (I know, I know... but sometimes people think they are being helpful by giving my kid candy and I really do appreciate their trying to help out even though inside I'm thinking NO MORE CANDY!!).They're about to start boarding the plane and I'm not even sure I'll make it.... and then the flight attendant comes by and hands me my tickets.

Tears.

Again.

And then the man I'm with (the couple) points behind me and says, "Look! Dog!!" I turn around expecting to show Peyton the cute puppy that will be on our flight and instead, see Dog the Bounty Hunter (mom and dad, I know you don't know who that is but he's this guy who has his own TV show and is sorta a celebrity...). So I look at him, get this HUGE, cheesy grin on my face and say hi... He says hi back!  haha :) My first celebrity sighting!! Kinda a big deal... haha

And then my mom calls me... Seriously, one good thing right after the other. She called to tell me that Glenn, my brother, turned in his mission papers!!! I'm so excited for him and know that he will be an amazing missionary!

We board the flight and I look for our seats... Tender Mercy #4: In these planes, they have two seats by the windows, four seats in the middle, and then another two seats by the window. They purposefully gave Peyton and I the middle seats... and left another seat open for us. Not because I'm fat or smell bad... That's just an extra seat so that Peyton could have more room to play or, I'm crossing my fingers, that she'll sleep and be able to lie down in that extra seat.

Peyton is super excited to be on a plane... I'm super nervous that she's going to cry because of her ears. I'm hoping that no one will sit in the row at all with us because that would be awesome but unfortunately, that wasn't the case. A man came and sat down in the same row as us. He looked like the type of person that huffs and puffs on plane rides when there are kids crying.  I got nervous because I didn't want Peyton to be annoying to him... Ends up he didn't have any children or grandchildren of his own. Uh oh.

As soon as he sat down, Peyton looked up at him, got the biggest smile on her face, and said in that cute way she usually does, "Hi!!" He smiled and said hi back. Peyton then proceeded to tell him all about the plane and how we were going to fly and then offered some of her fruit snacks to the man... I think because of that he was a lot more open to Peyton. Love her.

We took off and Peyton did great. No crying, nothing. Now I'm scared that she's going to be wide awake for the whole trip because she had such a long nap and what am I going to do because I'm so exhausted?!?! Nope. 30 minutes into the flight, Peyton crawls up into my lap with her bottle and blanket, tells me good night and gives me a big kiss. And just like that, she's sleeping.

As if there weren't enough tears for the day, I could have cried (but I didn't). My daughter was such an amazing trooper all day. She was so sweet and surprisingly listened really well. Before I fell asleep, I just couldn't help but think that I missed the first flight for a reason. I think Heavenly Father knew that if we had left on that first flight, Peyton would have been up the entire time and it would have been a lot more difficult for me. Because we missed the flight, I was able to meet some amazing people, see my first celebrity in real life, hear from my mom that my brother turned in his papers instead of on a voice mail, AND get some sleep. It's funny how looking back in hindsight, our vision always tends to be 20/20. I'm incredibly grateful for the experience and all that I learned from it. It really has made me a stronger person.

(So long... I know, sorry! Almost done!!)

Our plane lands and surprisingly, Peyton (and I) slept the whole trip... While we are walking to pick up our baggage, all I can think of is how the heck am I going to push Peyton in the stroller, carry the car seat AND pull our suitcase all by myself. I really do believe we missed that flight on purpose. Because I checked in on the first flight, my bags and things were sent with the first plane... Because I didn't pick up my bags within a few hours, they moved my bags next to their office which was conveniently located right next to the exit.... So all of my bags and things were already ready to go! I didn't have to move them or go anywhere or do anything until my ride came.

I know this was all pretty confusing and looking back, it was pretty funny.... But at the time, it was horrible, stressful, and honestly... a little scary. I was so relieved for all the little blessings that came my way. It's crazy how everything works out perfectly in the end. Which is hard for me to comprehend sometimes because I'm the type of person who constantly needs to be in charge of everything that is going on... I need to know exactly what to do, where to go, etc. It was tough for me to have to let go and just have faith that everything would work out in the end. *Sigh* The Church is true!!

Good experience.

1 comment:

Geoff and Bets said...

omg thank you for sharing. i love the enduring mothering spirit you showed that long hard day and your wise hindsight reflections. i hope i would be able to see all that good in the end and not just wallow in self-pitty. you rock and gave me a lot tp think about today. keep on keepin on