I'm now a supervisor at the treatment center that I work at. And I LOVE it. It's definitely more responsibility but it's also a lot more fun! I'm able to have more time to do what I do best: be creative! It's tough because now its up to me to make the hard calls but I've been here for almost 5 years and I've learned a lot so I feel confident and comfortable doing it. Ben and I are so excited too... It looks like a car, a house, Ben's education, and a little extra spending are all in the workings for our near future!
Is that too greedy? selfish? both?! Probably... but honestly, ever since I graduated from BYU it was "Sorry, you're too polite" or "Sorry, it was between you and someone else less qualified/experienced than you" or "Sorry, we just hate you." haha, not really...
Yay! Yay! Yay!
Things that have happened at work recently:
- A girl ran away... This was a big deal because a boy ran away from the boy's campus and did some super bad things. Luckily, we found her an hour later. She was walking down the freeway looking for some smokes. This girl is so low-functioning so when the cops brought her back, she literally had NO IDEA that she did anything wrong!!
- I've made up a new schedule for the whole school to follow! This was the first big thing that I did that made me look good to the higher ups :) Aww yeah!!
- I'm not sure exactly WHAT I did but I guess I impressed someone high up (trust me, it wasn't the new schedule thing that I came up with)... they gave me a $50 gift card to the mall, a $50 gift card to Outback Steakhouse, and 2 movie tickets. For my job, that's pretty good... (The usual rewards they give to staff are boxes of candy or something lame like that so I thought that was pretty awesome)
- So far I've been kicked and scratched. Girls have also tried to bite me and hit me...
- One girl was "possessed" by "demons"... And it actually scared me a little. Eek!
- My goal for work: Make sure Investment is a place where girls don't want to be and make the open dorms a place where girls really do want to be! (Investment is a place where we need to watch girls who are more high risk... like our runners, fighters, and the sneaky ones. The open dorms aren't as secure and locked down.) What I've tried so far: Come up with activities like service projects, game nights, movie marathons, crafts, etc. One of the dorms go and read bedtime stories to the early adolescent campus every other week. Holidays are super fun too! For Halloween, we did different activities on the dorms and ended the night with a movie in the courtyard. It was epic :)
- We're having a pilates instructor come in and teach the girls how to be healthy both in their bodies and in their lifestyles. The girls will have a ton of fun and hopefully, it'll motivate them to make the right changes in life!
A couple things that I love about my job: the people I work with are AWESOME!! and also, trying to make a difference in these girls' lives. It is so sad to learn their stories and hear about their experiences. About 90% of our population come from broken families... They've never had anyone read bedtime stories to them. No one has ever shown them how much potential they have. Some of these girls are SO talented and they don't even know it! Not too many of our girls know what its' like to legitimately be loved... They don't know what it feels like to have someone really care for them. Don't get me wrong... These girls can be vicious and hurtful. I've been told some awful, horrible things that I wouldn't want anyone to ever have to hear. But when it comes down to it, I come home and all I want to do is hold my own daughter a little bit closer and a lot of bit longer.
Anyways... job. salary. Fist pump.

No comments:
Post a Comment