Wednesday, April 4, 2012

What the Health??

I don't know about you but when I work out, I don't look like this:


Or this:


Definitely not like this:


Or even this:


Nope! When I work out, I look like this:


Messy hair, sweat dripping everywhere and a red, splotchy face... oh, and the extra words in there are pointing out the spots I'm trying to get rid of...

Yup, that's me today after a 2 mile run in 20 minutes. 

It might not sound like a whole heck-of-a-lot for all you runners/super in shape people out there but to me its kind of a big deal.

I've never really been in shape my whole life. The rest of my family was... is... but not me. Don't get me wrong, I've been active and played lots of sports my whole life but I've always been on the chubby side, not fat or overweight... just a little extra cushion, you know? 

After I got pregnant and lost the baby weight, I gained most of it back and it kinda got out of control. So finally, I'm doing something to change it and I couldn't be more excited! The past month, I've run almost everyday for at least a mile. The first time I went running, I ran a mile in 20 minutes. Gasp, I know... I walked most of it. I ran for maybe 1 block and decided it was too nice of a day to run at super sonic speeds so I should just take my time and enjoy the weather.... 

The next day though, I ran more and cut 5 minutes off my time! F.I.V.E. 

The day after that I cut 3 minutes off and for a few days, I ran a 12 min mile... That was pretty exciting for me but I knew I could do better (in HS, I could do a 7.30 mile). So I've pushed myself to get to a 10 minute mile and I've been pretty happy with that. Next step? 2 miles!! And I did that today! :)

I've also signed up for 2 5ks in the very near future (one on April 28th, Color Me RAD and another on May 5th, Chase the Mayor). I'm really excited to do them both! Hopefully, I can do a 5k at least once a month to keep me in shape...  I never thought I would be one of those people who thought running was fun. NEVER! I don't know if this is too ambitious or not but I'm thinking that a half marathon by the end of the year wouldn't be all that bad either! Too over the top? Probably... 

On another health note, I've signed up for Weight Watchers... It's only been a few days since I've started but I've already noticed a difference! Not in how much I weigh... in how I feel! I feel like Weight Watchers is forcing me to watch what I eat so I've only been snacking on fruits and veggies. Breakfast, lunch and snacks have become a diet of strictly fruits and veggies. I'm drinking lots of water and exercising daily (!!!). It's awesome. I have so much more energy and I get more things done in a day! Serious!! Too bad it took me a few dollars to make me do this but who cares?! I'm doing it and I feel pretty darn good about myself right now.



** Just so you all know... I didn't write this to get any sympathetic or "no, you're not fat, Trina!" comments! I just wanted to let everyone know how excited I am to get in shape, run a few races, and eat healthy!!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay!! I'm so excited to hear about how you're doing with exercise and health related stuff. It gives me motivation to go out and work off my own baby fat as soon as my doctor says I can. Way to go!!

Cassyielicious said...

That's wicked sweet Tri! If you haven't figured it out yet...I'm stalking you. Turns out it's my new hobby since I don't have homework...or a job.