Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Time Out

Background Story #1:



This is Lila... I got this pic off of Andrea's blog. :)

So Ben and I got a kitty named Lila. She's about 2 months old and super cute. She's fun to play with and loves to cuddle.

She also has claws and teeth (Shocker, I know... a cat with claws and teeth?! Who would have thought?). We haven't de-clawed her or anything cuz it doesn't hurt at all. When she bites you, it feels more like she's scratching an itch on your hand.... or your chin.... or your toes.... now she's into ears...

Background Story #2:



I got into an accident (on a bike) and hurt both of my knees pretty bad. They were scratched up and bruised and oh goodness, they hurt. I couldn't bend them at all for what felt like forever. Waking up was the worst... I hate a stiff knee, especially in the morning. And going to the bathroom... ugh. Next time you go to the bathroom, try not to bend either of your knees. Just try. (This may be more information than needed BUT you get the point... and you don't have to try).

It's made my life pretty miserable... not being able to run around for sports and things, taking 5 minutes to walk up those darn Harmon building stairs, waiting another decade for the elevator in the Harmon building.... Anyways, it's been almost 2 weeks since the accident and my knees are feeling a lot better. Actually I take that back, my knee is feeling a lot better. Just the left one. The right one was the one hurt the worse but it's getting better. I still can't walk up stairs normally or run like I used to but it's better. If I bend it the wrong way, it hurts... sorta a cross between an electric shock and someone grabbing my leg right around my knee and breaking it with their bare hands.

So here's why I think I'm going to suck as a mom...

Yesterday I left work early cuz I had a headache (the kind where you wake up with a headache... ugh, I hate those). So I'm laying down on our couch and watching a movie (I think I put in Little Princess, something that I can fall asleep to). The entire time, Lila just wants to play with me so she's jumping up on the couch and racing all over the room trying to get me to throw the ball one more time (I think she used to be a dog at one point...). I finally gave up playing with her. My head hurt and I wanted to sleep.

Totally an accident but Lila jumps up on the couch, which had my leg up on it, with her claws out. That part didn't hurt.... But it surprised me. So, in my surprise, my RIGHT leg shoots up and... get ready for it... bends. THE WRONG WAY!!

Screams, electric shock, breaking leg, tears.....

After the hurting died down and I could move, I put Lila in time out and told, no... I firmly told Lila in a not-inside-appropriate voice, that she was in time out.

A cat in time out.

How ridiculous is that? It was such a weird, mini-freak out moment for me. It's a cat. Not a person. But then I started thinking... oh gosh, what if it was one of my own kids that did something, totally on accident, and I had a weird, mini-freak out moment?? If I put a cat in time out... what would I do to a little person?!

Moral of the story: Yes, I know I'm not a mom so I know it'll probably be different when I get my own kids (I already know there's a difference between cats and little people) .... And I'm sure there will be lots and lots and lots of weird, mini-freak out moments.... But this was the first time that I actually stopped and really thought about having kids... and I'll be honest, it was a little stressful.... and random. What a random time to think about that.

Second moral of the story: Yes, I know the first moral of the story really wasn't a moral of the story. Oh well.



PS. Just so people don't freak out and call me an animal hater or anything... I basically put Lila in her box (Don't freak out yet... she loves the box and when we're not playing with her and she's not following us around, she usually hangs out in there.... she LOVES the box) and told her to stay there. After I did that, I went back to the couch.... and Lila came right back to me. That was her time out.

5 comments:

Lauren said...

I don't think you should be worried about being a bad mom. When you freaked out, all you did was put her in time out. Natural reaction. You did not beat her or tell her she was stupid. And you loved her the whole time. That's what a good mom does. Good moms have to discipline.

I hope your knee (and head) feel better soon!

Edlin said...

I think that my cat used to be a dog too!! I can get her to follow me around, meow when I ask her to, and now I am trying to get her to roll over. How awesome would that be?

Mary Anne said...

oh my heck that was hilarious. not so much the fact that you were in tremendous pain, but the rest of it. Yeah, pretty much the rest of it was all hilarious.

Thanks for the offer of letting Lila stay with me while Dusty is gone. But if you think what you did was bad (I know it totally wasn't) then you don't want to know what I would have done to a cat that put me in that much pain. It's probably safer for her to stay with you.

The Wheelers said...

trina how long have you lived beneath us? and you still think i'm an okay mom?! i know you've heard all my yelling....you'll do great!

The Spanns said...

what a cute kitty! dont worry, I'm sure the cat wasn't traumatized :) heal well!