Friday, April 3, 2009

It Finally Happened .... *** Updated with Pictures Now!***

After 2 years and some odd months of playing hundreds of sports and playing like crazy, it has finally happened... Ladies and gentlemen, we have our first broken bone! And luckily (for me), it's Ben's hand and not mine :) He broke it on April 1st (yeah, everyone thought we were playing an April Fools joke but we werent) playing football. It was in the first few minutes of the game. Ben was rushing and he ran into the guy that was blocking him. It forced him to the ground and he landed right on his hand.... every 155 lbs (pure "muscle" (as he likes to call it)) of Ben. Ben is a pretty tough guy. Not much can hurt him. So when I saw him run off the field, cradling his hand, I knew it was more than just a little something. Ouch!

Anyways, you don't have to know the rest of the story but basically he broke 2 metacarpals (his middle finger and ring finger) in his RIGHT hand ... and yup, he's right-handed. He'll get a cast as soon as the swelling goes down (for a small visual, it looks like he has that elephantitize syndrome.... it's disgusting). I think the best part of this whole story was that we called April to wish her a happy birthday while we were driving to the Urgent Care facility and didn't tell her about what happened. We didn't want to worry her on her birthday...... :)

Here are the pics -- We're going to try and get the X-ray up here too.




*** Update: As always, pictures don't really do the real thing justice.... But I'm pretty sure you get the picture. Also, I forgot to add that Ben had a basketball game after the football game. And yes, he went to that game and played in it after (not very well I might add. Picture someone playing basketball with your wrists and not your hands... pretty funny). Boys.....


PS. I've started on a few of my home-made crafts for the 3 of you..... I should finish in about 2 weeks when I am on spring break so that I'll have more time to do them!! :)

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Poor Ben! Cam and I laughed when we read that you didn't tell April (and on the way to get it fixed!).

P.S. I wish I could have signed up for one of your crafty things!

elaine said...

Ouch! I know how much that hurts. I broke my left ring finger and had the fun of the ER nurses trying to get my wedding ring off for about a half an hour. I finally BEGGED them to cut it off!

It should be way interesting trying to keep Ben from breaking his cast. Can't wait for the pictures!

The Wheelers said...

i just feel like i should leave a comment....
thanks for watching the boys the other day, we really appreciated it!

CK Morgan said...

that was a good story. You are a funny writer Trina. I can't believe how long it has been since i have seen you. Block out next Friday night for a pasta dinner to carb load for the next day :)!