I got a job!!
Well, sorta... It was really just an accident. I graduated in April 08 and looked for a job ever since... and of course, as most of you know, I haven't had a job. I picked up a newspaper on campus (because I like the Sudoku puzzles at the back of the paper...). As I was reading it, I decided what the heck! I'll give the Classifieds a chance. Seriously, the only job that appealed at all to me was a teacher aide. How hard could aiding a teacher be, right?
I called the number and the lady I spoke to said to come in for an interview. I show up to the school and there are 2 other girls who are my age and dressed up for an interview. Great, I think to myself.... Now I'm nervous because both these girls graduated in Elementary Education and have taught in schools before. I'm a Psychology major....
This is getting long so I'll cut it short (or try or you could skip these points and go to the points at the bottom of this post) --
- The lady (the director, Miss A) tells us about the school. If we're interested, we can come back and watch how they teach on Monday.
- I show up on Monday (yesterday) and watch the class. After class, Miss A asks me if I have any questions. I ask when I can start. She said tomorrow (Tuesday... today). She gives me a HUGE pack of paper that I need to read (background on the school's method, how to write in cursive, rules for the English language, phonograms, etc. ). I go home, overwhelmed.
- (Sorry, I know I said I'd cut this short but this part I have to explain.) This school is a private school (kind of a glorified day care). It teaches students using the Montessori Method (this is the Wiki version...take it or leave it). It's actually a really cool method that teaches children at a very early age how to write in cursive and all the sounds of the English language. Granted, it still has its kinks to figure out BUT it really is amazing to see 6 year olds writing a whole lot better than me.
- I learn the best by actually doing. That being said, when Miss A was giving the students their phonogram test, I decided to try it with them. The best part is that I did better than I thought I would do!
- I read to the students out of the book Inkheart and Miss A was pretty impressed with how I read to the kids. Anyway -- when I was supposed to leave for the day, Miss A asked me to come up to her office. She told me that she really liked what she saw in me and wanted to do something she really doesn't do... ever. She told me that she wanted to start paying me (just so you know how big of a deal this is: they don't pay you for the 2 weeks they train you. After the end of the 2 weeks, they decide if they want you to teach or not. If they want to keep you, then you get paid). Anyways, she basically said that she thinks I have a lot of potential so she offered to PAY ME (something they don't do for trainees) ON THE VERY FIRST DAY THAT I STARTED TRAINING! I hope this is as big of a deal to you as it is to me... k, I'll be honest, probably not....
- I went into this job today thinking that I have to go "to work" for 2 weeks without getting paid....
- I left this job today thinking, "Oh gosh... now I HAVE to do amazing or ELSE!"
- I HAVE A JOB!!!
- ... the Church IS true!
11 comments:
Hi Trina, congratulations on the new job! It is great how it all worked out for you. It kind of makes you feel good when someone confirms that you are wonderful, doesn't it. Don't worry, she will love you and be glad she hired you. Have fun with all those kids, it will be practice for when you have your own children.
Congratulations! Hooray! I'm so glad that you finally found something, and it sounds like a fantastic and fun job. Who wouldn't love reading to kids for money? (I'm sure that's not all you do though.) I'm a little jealous. :)
yay for the job. it sounds like it is going to be pretty fun. I will miss you on Thursdays though. Maybe you can craft after school?!? Also, that picture is so funny!
Congratulations. Sounds like fun and I know you'll do great. From what I can tell, you're just a big kid yourself!
TRINA!!!! That IS a big deal! and the church IS true! I'm so so excited for you! except now does that mean you can't come to work day? dang it! you are so amazing...and that is so awesome that you are so amazing that they started to pay you the first day. you will be so great!
Congrats Trina! You'll love it! I went to a Montessori school, because my mom taught there, and I loved it!!! And my mom loved it, and swears to this day by Maria Montessori's teachings! You'll get converted too, just kidding! I'm so excited for you though, that's awesome!
YOU DID IT!! That is awesome. Finally someone saw the amazingness of Trina Wheeler. You are incredible. Those kids will love you. Good job and keep me up to date.
So there's an award for you on my blog. Okay, really it's just a glorified tag!
So this is delayed since I've been catching up on the technology world and reading up on everyone's lives little by little... But... CONGRATS!! Now if only I can have the same dumb luck you seem to have acquired from Ben, maybe I can get a job too... Or at least someone will just hand me some money for no reason at all.
Congrats Trina! That is so awesome!
Hey, I wanted to tell you thanks for feeding my husband while he was out there. Cam says you're a great cook, so apparently I need to get some of those recipes! And thanks for remembering his birthday and baking cupcakes for him.
Post a Comment